Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The human tongue

My favorite part of the human body is the tongue. Why? Well, because we can taste ice cream, chocolate chips, and the list goes on! Although there are a few exceptions, such as squash, mushrooms, ect.

Did you know that there are two senses for the human tongue? The spiritual sense and the physical sense. I am going to try to explain what I mean in this post.

I would like to begin by looking at the dictionary’s definition for the word “tongue”.

1. fleshy organ inside mouth: the movable fleshy organ attached to the bottom of the inside of the mouth of humans and most animals, used for tasting, licking, swallowing, and, in humans, speech. Technical name glossa (sense 1)

2. animal's tongue as food: the tongue of an animal, especially a cow, used as food

3. language: a language or dialect

4. way of speaking: somebody's manner of speaking. She can have a sharp tongue when she's annoyed.

5. ability to speak: the power of speech. She was so overwhelmed her tongue deserted her.

That is cool.

Now lets look at my science book and see what it says.

Lets begin by discussing the four basic senses of taste: sweat, salty, sour, and bitter. I think we all have experienced all four of those tastes!

Now the question is, “how do we taste?” Well, all over you tongue are little bumps called papillae, and some of them have tiny holes called taste pores. That leads to a microscopic clusters of cells called taste buds. These cells have super small “hairs” that are sensitive to certain chemicals. When the taste buds detect those chemicals in your saliva, they send signals down the sensory nerves in the tongue to your cerebrum. Your brain then gives you the sense of “taste”, which (as you all know) could be good or bad, depending on the chemicals in your saliva.

And that all happens less than one hundredth of a second! Now if evolution is true how could this complex tongue have evolved? It could not. Only a Creator could have created that!

Well, we just looked at the physical sense of the word “tongue”. Now, lets look at the spiritual sense.

The bible talks about how the tongue can hurt others:
Psalms 5:9, “Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with destruction. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit.”

Psalms 52:2-4, “Your tongue plots destruction; it is like a sharpened razor, you who practice deceit.

You love evil rather than good, falsehood rather than speaking the truth.

You love every harmful word, O you deceitful tongue!”

Proverbs 26: 28, “A lying tongue hates those it hurts, and a flattering mouth works ruin.”

It all so talks about how the tongue can heal, how God hates a deceitful tongue, and that you should keep your tongue from speaking evil and to speak righteousness:

Psalms 34:13, “Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.”

Psalms 37:30, “The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just.”

Psalms 39:1, “I said, “I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence.”

Psalms 51:14, “Save me from bloodguilt, O God, and God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.”

Proverbs 10:19, “When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.”

Proverbs 12:18, “Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”

Wow! That is amazing! The tongue can be reckless and it can also be healing! I think we all have experienced that both ways.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t my words to destroy others. I want to be like Psalms 39:1, and the second part of Proverbs 12:18.

There are a lot more verses on this subject, and I did not write them all down because I thought that if you were really interested about it, you would look them up.

What did you think? Please, let me know.

God Bless,
Apollos

3 comments: